Thursday, March 14, 2013

Weekend in paradise...er- Williams, AZ Part 2- Grand Canyon


Today we lazed around for part of the morning, then decided to go to the Williams visitor center to get info on things to do. Our agenda for this trip: go to the Grand Canyon, and go to the snow (for Jovie- she just wanted to sled, throw a few snowballs, and build a snowman). Once we realized we missed the train that goes to the Grand Canyon, we decided to drive the hour to get there. Not a bad drive. Not much to see, but good conversation. (This was the original Grand Canyon train that began the tourism boost in 1901)


This was our first look at the Grand Canyon from Yavapai Point on the South Rim. I'm not gonna lie. It took my breath away and just the sheer magnitude of what I saw made me cry. It was emo. In such a good way. Blake got choked up too, so I knew it wasn't just hormones. These are the moments where I will never understand people who don't believe in God. (Bright Angel Canyon- the one that looks almost vertical from front to back of picture)




We took a nice leisurely walk (per my doctors orders) along the trail (.7 mi.) and even found some snow to throw! It was perfect for snowballs!


 We did a lot of Jovie hand holding along this trail, not only because we love her dearly and adore that she loves this physical connection with us, but also because there were no guard rails along the trail, and a few steps off the path and you plunge 7,000 ft to your death. Not my (or my loved ones) ideal way to die. 


Just look at this place...breathtaking! And what a beautiful family of mine! 



Jovie's airplane was ready for takeoff! I love her imagination these days!


First time riding in a (shuttle) bus. Pretending to be sleeping- but was really exhausted from all the sightseeing and hiking around!



My favorite stop along the way from the Visitors Center out to Hermits Rest was Powell Point. Such a gorgeous view. Jovie makes a great Vanna White. 


I loved these long skinny inlets that look like Mesas. So cool!


The best part was when I freaked Blake out by taking Jovie out onto this ledge. It's all about trust. 
(Besides the fact that there was another landing about 6 feet below us- and I knew that. I just waited to tell Blake that AFTER he took the picture. He was sweating bullets. Jovie and I were free as birds)


"This place is HUGE"


I love this little angel of mine. And I love the fact that she is obsessed with (and very good at) climbing trees. 


Completely bushed. Couldn't have seen that coming. ;)

Seeing the Colorado River below was almost surreal. That's 7000 feet away. OVER 1.5 MILES below us.  


Finally made it to Hermits Rest. Got an ice cream sandwich at the snack bar, took a potty break, then back on the 40 minute shuttle back to the Visitors Center. 


 Along the way back we even saw 6 Bighorn sheep. That is so rare to see in the wild. And I just couldn't get over this spectacular view. Such an amazing adventure. Glad we were spontaneous and just did something great. I will NEVER forget this amazing day. 




No comments: