Friday, September 19, 2008

Three weeks ago...

I had this beautiful little girl Jovie!! I can't believe she is already 3 weeks old!

So now I know what it means to be in a fog...not knowing the days from the nights...the date...whether I brushed my teeth today...if I actually put on makeup...when the last time I peed...when the last time I ate...when the last time I walked outside to feel the heat...it appears that all of my thoughts have been consumed by Jovie...I've even taught her how to do important things with her hands- like flash "WESTSIIIEEEDE" gang signs. It may look like EASTSIDE- but she was on her way up to the WESTSIDE when I caught it on camera. She's going to be so hardcore. Don't let the pink fool you. She's gonna be tough. HAHA.



I've been trying so hard to keep up with the rigors of new motherhood...and still do other things that are so necessary- like watch Project Runway, balance the checkbook, do the laundry, keep up with my church calling, clean the house, keep in touch with friends, and work on homework for school.
From the day all of my family went home, it has been really quiet around the house...Jovie slept incredibly well while everyone was here...and it seems that she has her own internal feeding clock- so she gets up to eat every 3 hours...day and night. She does this really cute thing with her hands every time she eats- almost like she's holding her hands to bless her food... see...cute, huh? Or maybe that's just her plea to keep the bottle in her mouth the entire feeding instead of take it out halfway through to burp her.


The night feedings have been somewhat challenging for me...I try to get up and be quiet enough and quick enough at getting Jovie's bottle ready and diaper changed before she gets all worked up and wakes Blake up. I know he has been exhausted and I'm just trying to do my part, especially while I am on maternity leave. Blake does love having daddy time with her- but I know how important sleep is, so I let him get as much of it as possible. I will be so grateful for the night she sleeps more than 5 hours consecutively. Having 2 hours of sleep here and 1 hour of sleep there is still sleep- it's just not my preference. Go figure!



I have been so grateful for the phone calls and visits from friends and family. I generally have a hard time asking for help when I need it- and this is no exception...but it has been nice having friends bring over dinner for us and hang out. I've needed the hang time. Shout outs to all ya'll...you know who you are.

I know many women feel all cramped up in the house...but me- I couldn't be happier. There is NO WAY I could ever be bored as a mother- I always have a to do list...which is never ending. It's nice to get things crossed off my list- and still nice to see I have a purpose for getting out of bed. I can also say that luckily I haven't had the postpardum blues (yet, anyway). I was a bit emotional the first week I got home from the hospital - with all of the family here, plus every time I would just sit and ponder my blessings of a healthy, beautiful baby I couldn't help but to get all teary. Oh, and the church songs get me all weapy too- when I look into Jovie's eyes and sing to her I just KNOW she hears me and that there is just a sweet divinity to her. I know she was the little spirit waiting to bless our family. Well, crap...here comes the water works...sheesh. Honestly- just look at those baby blues!!



That reminds me of something Blake said that was pretty funny while I was pregnant..."I love you so much more when you're pregnant...you're so much nicer and less emotional". Haha. All I know is that yes, I was less emotional (strangely), but I was also much crustier- well, I should say "more honest". I like the honesty- it keeps things funny. Maybe if Blake got his wish I could just be pregnant all the time!! Haha-yeah right. My body needs a little break. Besides, I want to enjoy every moment I have with Jovie while she is still little. She is just the sweetest. How can you not love a baby when they're all cuddly in the softest blanket? She's even smiling to the camera! Ok maybe it is just gas.



Also- a big thank you to Blake's Mimi for getting Jovie the moses basket. She loves to get all cozy in it and is really the only place she will fall asleep (besides mama's arms)



After that last crazy dust storm that passed through the valley and one of Jovie's first days out of the house visiting my brother Eli and his family down in Maricopa, AZ - Jovie got her first cold- poor thing has the stuffiest nose and sounds like an English Bulldog. I told Blake that was the closest I'd be to ever having a Bulldog. It was really sad to hear her all stuffy, but it was kinda funny too. She's been snorting too (just like Mom)...which just puts a smile on my face.
Really- how can I not be overjoyed seeing this beautiful face every day?!!

11 comments:

jaime said...

oh man. i. wanna. hang.

i miss that little girl. a few hours together was just not enough.

so sweet.

Tiffany said...

Mandy, She's so adorable!! Congrats!

Marci McLain said...

She is just the cutest little thing! I would love to come hang out and visit with you sometime! Call me when you need some yummy treat! :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations Mandy. She is seriously beautiful! Enjoy this newborn stage cause as tiring as it may be, it's the absolute best and it goes way too fast. Congrats again!

Cori Carpenter said...

I can't believe it has been three weeks! She is so cute! Remember, if you ever need some company, we are always hangin' here in copa...all day....everyday....!!

The Avery Family said...

Mandy, she is so adorable! We could not be happier for you! Love you lots and think about you all the time!

diana said...

she is darling. i love that picture of her and blake asleep. i'm so happy that you're taking to motherhood so well. it's an amazing feeling knowing that you are someone's momma. it honestly just keeps getting better. let me know if you need anything else.

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

she is so stinkin cute. I hope you are able to enjoy EVERY minute of NOT sleeping, Forgetting the last time you took care of anything for yourself and Holding that precious little angel. They grow Up SO FAST!!!

Heather said...

She is soo beautiful! I especially LOVE the pic of your hubby all cuddled up with her! Nothin' like a Daddy with his baby!

Anonymous said...

Jovie is absolutely gorgeous, Mandy!! It makes me so baby hungry to hear your wonderful stories of little baby. I just miss the infant stage so much. Not so much the losing of sleep part, but the innocence part. Then they turn two and all hell breaks lose!! Enjoy every minute of motherhood. It is the most wonderful gift in the world.

kayleen said...

aren't you so glad you have that awesome camera?! love the pics.